Sunday, February 5, 2012

a change of plans

It's crazy to realize that January is already behind us.  In most aspects of my life I really, really, really want time to slow down.  But, in this case, I am so grateful that January is over.  It was a tough month, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

I have withdrawn from culinary school.  It was not an easy decision - and if you know me, you know I over-thought this from every direction before coming to this choice.  I am confident that I made the best choice for me and my family...and that pleases me more than anything.  

I went into this adventure not knowing what I wanted to do when it was over.  My focus was to learn as much as I could about food and cooking, because I adore food and cooking.  I truly LOVED the experience last semester - it really was a dream come true and I learned a wealth of information.  I won't get into the details of it all, but I truly disliked the experience this semester.  This made me both sad and angry.  I was sad because I wanted to love it just as much as I did last fall; and I was angry because I was taking time away from my family to do something that wasn't bringing me joy. I wrestled with all of this for a little while and came to the conclusion that I should just deal with it.  And then I thought "why?".  Why deal with being miserable? Please don't misunderstand me - there are plenty of circumstances in life where "dealing with it" is absolutely the right choice.  But I don't think pursuing a hobby is one of them...at least, not for me.  I did not like culinary school this semester.  I was not getting what I wanted out of it.  I made the choice to stop spending my time and money doing something I didn't enjoy.

I still adore food and cooking - that has not changed.  And I will still pursue learning about food and cooking.  But at this point in my love affair with food I don't believe that culinary school is the way to go...and I'm cool with that.

I'm going to continue the grateful plate blog and Facebook page.  Instead of writing about my adventures in culinary school, I will now write about my adventures with food.  A logo is in the works and who knows, I may even try to learn twitter. 

Most importantly, THANK YOU for supporting me through this adventure.  For that, I am forever grateful.  

5 comments:

  1. I DO know how hard this must have been for you. But like all hard decisions I'm sure you feel so much better having decided. Let's talk this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I'm around all week, let me know what is convenient for you.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you brave and honest woman. I can see you analyzing this from every possible angle and not being flippant with such a big decision. There was no throwing in the towel here without due diligence, and in the end, just from an outsider looking in, it's so apparent the right decision was made.

    I don't have a cute chef's hat like you, but if I did, I'd take my hat off to you!! Bravo!

    Love you,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, I'm so glad to hear you're not wrestling with any self-doubts about your decision, though I imagine it was a hard one to make! I think I would run into the same issues were I to enroll in the Master Gardener Program here in Seattle. It would be great to get that knowledge, but I honestly think I'd prefer to keep my hobby a hobby and learn at my own pace--maybe taking a class here and there on a subject I'm particularly interested in. (Besides, really, I don't want to have to help strangers with their gardens; I just want to work on my own!)

    I imagine your first semester gave you a great base of knowledge that you can use forever. You're already way ahead of the game. :) I'm happy to hear you're going to continue with the blog!

    ReplyDelete